Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tasty Side: Asparagus with Chives and Lemon Zest

Please subscribe to receive Almost Slowfood via EMAIL or RSS Feed. Thank you!

We had a few weeks of summery weather and now the tides have changed. I'm wrapped in a blanket shivering at my computer and sipping hot tea because, understandably, our building turned off the heat in April. So I will do my best to evoke the essence of Spring even though I'm feeling like winter today.

My apartment may be frigid, but the farmer's market is filling up with produce! I waited and waited and finally asparagus, rhubarb, chives, green garlic all have arrived and strawberries are promised for next week! I've been buying three pounds of asparagus a week since I know it won't last long. I'm experimenting with pizzas, quiches, poached eggs and polenta, but today I want to share with you an incredibly easy way to prepare asparagus that's bright and springy.


Asparagus with Chives and Lemon Zest
(This is a perfect side dish for any time of day. Leftovers are delicious cold with a little vinaigrette or lemon juice overtop.)

What You'll Need:
1 lb Asparagus with the ends snapped off
Zest of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Lemon
2-3 Tablespoons Chives
Salt and Pepper to taste

Set a frying pan over a medium high heat. Add a splash of olive oil. When the oil shimmers, toss in the asparagus. Pour the lemon juice over top and a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, while occasionally moving around the asparagus, until the asparagus is al dente. About 5 minutes.

Remove the asparagus from the heat and top with lemon zest and chives. Serve it on a nice platter and savor the fresh taste of Spring.

Approximate Cost:
Groceries: $5
Cost per Meal: Expect 3-4 servings

This Time Last Year: Chicken Sausage with Sauteed Spinach and Farro Noodles

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks delicious, and beautiful. Have you ever roasted asparagus? With a drizzle of olive oil & a sprinkle of grated Parmesan towards the end. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love roasting asparagus, any vegetable really. And, I've recently discovered the true beauty of parmesan cheese. It's just a little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it? So easy. Thanks. Love asparagus and anything to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have had asparagus in a good while -- but last time I did, it was roasted on a grill -- great.
    thanks for the flavor combination, Peggy, sounds loveely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never cooked asparagus this way. Will have to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always looking for new but simple ways to prepare this seasonal treat. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great flavor combo, cooked simply. My kinda side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds lovely! And I have chives in my garden, so it's even easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cooking with asparagus. Combining it with chives seems simple and ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to prepare asparagus. Simple and fresh. ~Meredith

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin