Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Daring Cooks: Vietnamese Pho (Beef Noodle Soup)

Just a few weeks ago, I posted about making puffed pastry during my first Daring Bakers Challenge. I also joined the Daring Cooks because, just like the DBC, it's a great way to get out of my comfort zone and try new things. It's also a fabulous way to meet new people and share an experience since writing is rather solitary.

This month's challenge came compliments of Jaden Hair who authors one of my favorite blogs of all time, Steamy Kitchen, and she's also just released her first cookbook, The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner. For the challenge, Jaden chose her recipe for Pho, which is a classic Vietnamese noodle dish consisting of rich chicken, seafood or beef broth with lots of fresh herbs and vegetables. If you haven't had Pho, then you're missing out. It's soothing, filling and also very healthy.

While Jaden provided her amazing recipe for Chicken Pho straight out of her new book, there was also the option to try out her recipe for Beef Noodle Pho from Steamy Kitchen. While I had every intention of making the chicken version, upon arriving at the market last week, I just couldn't pass up the beautiful, meaty pastured beef bones from Sun-Fed Beef, a new addition to my market. And Jaden says, to make good beef Pho, you need some good bones. Let me tell you, these bones had marrow and loads of meat still attached. They were the best bones I've ever seen.

Making Pho might sound daunting, but the actual process is incredibly simple: simmer beef bones, onions, ginger, fish sauce and spices together in the largest stockpot you have for a few hours. Then strain the broth through a cheesecloth to make sure no stray bones, spices or onion bits find their way into your Pho. I made mine the day before we planned to eat it so that the next day, all I had to do was rinse mint, basil and cilantro leaves and bean sprouts. slice some lime wedges and cook some rice noodles which all accompany the broth.

We had friends over to enjoy Jaden's Beef Pho and, let me tell you, every one of us on down to baby girl and our friends' two year old boy devoured it. I've had flimsy, flavorless Pho broths before, but Jaden's broth has redefined Pho for me. It was fragrant and full of flavor to the point where the next day, during baby girl's naptime, I heated up some left over broth in a mug, squeezed a bit of lime and relaxed with a book. When broth is good enough to stand on its own, you know you've got something amazing on your hands. I am so in love that I just may make it again this weekend. I hope you'll try it soon!

Click Here: for Jaden's amazing recipe for Vietnamese Beef Pho

And, Click Here: to check out the other amazing Daring Cooks and their challenges




A few notes on Jaden's recipe: 
  1. I couldn't find the flat rice noodles Jaden speaks of in her recipe so I used Vermicelli rice noodles instead. They were very tasty and easy for baby girl to eat, but I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for the flat ones.
  2. I know I'm supposed to follow the recipe to a T, but I just couldn't bring myself to parboil the bones for 10 minutes, throw away the broth and then start simmering. So, I broke the rules and boiled the bones vigorously for 10 minutes, skimming off any scum before adding the onions and ginger and spices and simmering it together. Maybe I'm missing something, but my friends, the hubby and the kids all thought it was out of this world so feel free to take this short cut. 
  3. One of our guests is adjusting to life with diabetes and so she couldn't eat as many noodles so I added some wood-ear mushrooms to give her a little something extra. They were a great addition.
Approximate Dinner Cost:
Groceries: $46
Leftovers: Jaden's recipe says it serves 8, but we actually got more like 10 servings for $4.60 a serving.

24 comments:

  1. When I lived in Paris, we always went to Vietnamese restaurants. I look forward to trying this recipe. Love the photo of the spices with the star anise, which we used for herbal tea in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great choice in switching to beef pho! Nothing can compare with its flavour! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing - and this from a non-beef eater! I would love it full of mushrooms :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me hungry! I've wanting to try Pho, thanks for including this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right, Peggy. I had to really fight myself to get to dump the first broth after parboiling. I considered it such a waste! But it was my first challenge and I wanted to do it perfectly... Thanks for visiting my blog! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I love the photo of the spices. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, everyone!! I hope you'll try it if you eat beef and, Sheryl, Jaden has an excellent chicken and seafood pho recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Wasn't it a fun challenge? So delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need a push to get out of my comfort zone too. Now I wish I'd tried the beef. Yours sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a friend of mine loves Vietnamese food, but has not made it often. I'll tell her of Jaden's cookbook.

    is there such a thing as vegetarian pho? I can imagine creating that, but does that turn it into another sort of dish?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything that starts with a good stock has to have amazing flavor. I would fear about finding good bones to use. Maybe a post on where/how to locate those would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful job! Everything looks amazing - Those spices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! Your pho looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The process for the broth brought the flavor to a whole new level and shocked me too! Your company must have felt so spoiled sharing this wonder soup with you. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the others, great looking pho! Love the idea of mushrooms for your friend, they are very good also for the vegetarian version(which for me was among the 3-4 different ones I've made since I did my first version for the challenge) instead of the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely dish...sounds divine. I'd love a vegetarian version, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jaden's book is definitely a winner. I can't wait until I get my copy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to remember not to read this blog when I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like that you spell it out--for the dufus cooks like me--what sounds hard but isn't... and what is actually hard. Thanks for the gentle encouragement to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much, Everyone! A vegetarian version would be amazing as well. I'll have to futz around and see what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous job!! The pho looks delicious =D.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have always wanted to make pho and this has inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMg, your beef Pho looks PHObulous! I cannot wait to try the beef myself. and seeing yours just makes the desire that much stronger. Nicely done, and great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL! Lisa Michelle, I love that you said Phobulous!! Hysterical! While I haven't tried any other Pho recipes, I don't think I even want to as this was delicious!

    Thanks for all the amazing feedback!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin